>> Saturday, April 01, 2006

Long Day

SK Sports Day - IT Center - OU - TTDI. Booked another Z.A.N. Watched the Brothers Grimm.

Watching the sport events at Jln2 SKBBB from the sideline reminded me of so many things during the early days. I was here participating in 4 by 200m about 12 years ago. Now, I can only watch. Ashbi and friends represented Bendahara (blue house) in a 4 by 100m relay. The pitch was slightly wet.

I passed by a bicycle park shelter nearby the second entrance to the school compound. My head nearly bumped on the inner roof-support beams as I strolled pass the familiar spot, a place where I used to play as a kid. Those support bars, I thought, were not even close to reach then. I was a small boy indeed.

Some memories started to pull together. I don't remember being physically tough in the early days. What I clearly remember is how unpopular someone was without the participation in sports. Those who were active in variety of sport competitions, inside and outside, would almost automatically become famous. Being a nerd a.k.a book-geek myself, I walked pass all the commotion like slicing a butter. It's not that I didn't like sports. I just didn't have much of that in the early years and I was more into mathematics and all.

The best part about being semi-atheltic is to have it both ways. During Alam Shah years, I started developing the physique as required by the activities (among a number of reasons why I feel grateful to join SAS) as in Silat, Kadet Bersatu (the Army school cadet), football, futsal at the basketball court, mid & long distance run, etc. And that went on without sacrificing any part of the academics (another reason to be beholden to the experience there). Even though I wasn't the top-notch superstars like Jasmiza the man with 3 hearts, Syed, Fahmi, Khairi the top ruggers, or Jasin (Firdaus Zainal), Luqman and Fariz the sprinters, I remember being content with whatever I was into. I made the choice. There were black moments here and there but it was beneficial for character building overall.

I don't consider myself as an athlete. But do I believe in staying healthy with some physical activities? You bet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home