>> Saturday, April 15, 2006

What comes around goes around

Boot camp: Commentary

The reason why Steve Jobs is such a mogul in computer technology is, in my humble opinion, because of his principle.

What is it?
He responds to what users want, evident in the spurious improvements of Mac OS X and new features introduced to both software and hardware everytime Major Keynote comes. He's the only CEO I know (suggest to me if you know of others) who would say, "We've got a lot of request from the users. This is a popular request from OS X users. So we're giving it to you." In order to get what he wants, he gives others what they want. Proper.

What enables it?
Total control over the platform. Apple is in control over what it develops and successfully migrated from excess baggage in Mac OS 9 without losing much. Microsoft is hurting itself in a long run because Windows carries the excess baggage of previous versions in order to retain backward compatibility, which seems to be the key to retain the current market slice. Microsoft is holding on to what customers are giving to them (i.e. market share) first before thinking of what they can offer to them. "You give me what I want first, before I give you what you want." Improper.

What does user want, in the entire grand scheme of things?
"A stable and simple computer. Windows is bloated with instability, virus, and spywares. But I can't switch to other alternatives, because some of my files/programs are Windows-only. I cannot ditch my favorite Windows-only games either."

Therefore, what Jobs is offering to many of the frustrated Windows-bloated PC users out there is to try out new "Windows-friendlier" Intel Macs: "Here's the deal. You've got a new hardware. The software is very Windows friendly. And it's also Mac OS X based, so you can try that one out while you're at it."

Mac OS X simply works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home