>> Friday, May 12, 2006

Childhood Memoir

Zabid is like a brother I never have. I've known him since kindergarten, Taski Saidatina Zainab, which takes us back to about 17 years ago. How many of you still remember a friend from kindergarten? Though we're physically far away from each other, eversince the last day of primary school 11 years ago (1995), we're still as close as best friends could ever will be. The gap never sets us apart. In fact, that's the reason why we're so close.

This friend of mine is getting married soon. Things are going to change. But that doesn't change the fact that we're still good friends and I'm so happy for him.

Part 1
I'm telling you that story, to start this story. When I was very little, I wasn't too fond of the idea of going to school. I was very afraid to go to school. I didn't know how to make friends. I don't know still. But Allah's guidances come in many ways. I was so blessed that during kindergarten, I managed to get to know a wonderful friend named Alif. It turns out that Alif was the one who changed my life forever.

I really didn't want to go to school. Mum & dad couldn't even make me. I was afraid. But because Alif's there everyday, I wanted to go and learn with him. We were such good friends, I never left his side. He showed me courage. One time, I dared to ask for an extra karipap from the teacher. Heh. He kept on showing me confidence. I would be standing by the gate waiting for him before we could walk in the classroom together. One day, he never showed up. I kept on waiting at the gate but he never did. I guess it was the day he moved to other school.

The day he left, I was in great distress. I didn't want to show up at school again. I rebelled against coming to school and retaliated. Nobody could make me go to school. I didn't want to go to school. Not without Alif. But one day I realized that, that's not what Alif would've wanted. He would've wanted me to go to school. To learn. To make friends. I gave it a try and attended school once. That's the moment when Zabid came along. Zabid befriended this smart but miserable little boy. After a while, I felt like going to school again. We became friends ever since. Miraculously, we're classmates too ever since day one in primary school until the very last. We've had close to 7 years of friendship before my days in Alam Shah started. Zabid is a lot like Alif and they both have many friends. I wish to be like both of them.

Part 2
Apart from Sekolah Kebangsaan, I also had to attend Sekolah Rendah Agama. As you could guess I wasn't also that confident to start up. I needed someone to help me. Much of the problem was again, getting along well with friends. Again, Allah's guidance came in a form of another friend, Ulul Ilmi. He's always there to help me. We would play together and I would hang out with him a lot. One day, the day I feared to come the most, he didn't show up at school. I kept on searching and scouted the entire school compound. There was no sign of him. It was a lonely day. I tried being optimistic and thought that perhaps he'd show up tomorrow. He's probably just sick for the day.

I waited for him again the next day. He's not in the class. I sat quietly, almost crying. It's happening again. I was going to lose a very, very close friend. Days went by and I knew another Alif had left me. School time was never the same since.


Part 3
Out of these three guys, Alif, Ulul Ilmi have gone and I'm still keeping in touch with Zabid. Zabid is like the only one left of childhood treasure. He claims that I have saved him in school. I might have taught him a thing or two, ABCs, but in reality, he has saved me for life.

The value of a friendship is more than you can measure. Talk to your friends today, especially the ones who have made a difference in your life. Tell them how much they mean to you

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home