>> Thursday, May 04, 2006

Oxymoronic (Assembly line)

Process will take, by following the belt down the assembly line, 5 minutes. And yet the upper management is furious about something. The part that I cannot comprehend is… we would like to stick with the process (wouldn’t require any change in the system), but then we yell at the assembly workers when the belt takes the unit from point A to point B in 5 minutes instead of 2?

It's... it's a little ironic.

I agree that we should be part of the solution, not the problem, and become more of models, not critics. But this is assuming you have the control over majority of the situations. In the real world, many constraints exist and you can only control a certain part of the function. Many of the engineers control their portions and demand changes, but equally often management/system/resources would restrict such movements (proven during the last Workshop when top 3 improvements voted are work-related – engineers really do want to complete their tasks) Many managers control their portions and motivate others of changes, but equally often, business environment/policies/directors/clients would restrict such movements.

I’m not an expert, but I can observe inconsistency when I see one. At the end of the day, everybody measures the pain-to-gain ratio anyway. When one factor is already in effect, another one will accelerate it…

*Again, as any other commentaries, many of the counterparts are easier mentioned than executed. Identified possible barriers include conservative approach (proven track records), rigid faith in current systems, hidden corporate policies, miscommunication, groupthink, etc. Outlook for execution is the desire to CHANGE from both sides: the openness.

Assessment
I’ve criticized management a lot. So, I was thinking, wait a minute, have I carried such responsibilities myself?

A) I was first offered an official leadership role in 1995. Being a 12-year old boy then, it was personally quite overwhelming to carry a head-boy title so I dropped it after 4 months. I wasn’t much of a leader myself to begin with. Months later, I regretted such decision and learned my lesson. There was a reason behind the appointment and I have missed the opportunity to ‘grow’.

B) After two years of turmoil and recovery, I began accepting leadership roles. Beginning 1997, in fact, late 96, I started off serving as a prefect, one of five appointed for 1997 term. Year 1997 is among the crucial ones, second to 1999, in terms of milestones. I began making more friends than I could handle and flipped several attitudes upside down. 97 was also the biological stepping year, if you know what I mean (in Whose Line cliche & euphemism game tone)

C) In 1998, the real leadership lessons progressed. Usrah every Saturday involved me with a group of first formers. I loosened up the rope too much I received a warning for not taking control once - so much for giving the group members the freedom to express themselves.

D) In 1999, I led one out of five freshmen dorms. Then, came the offer to lead the students to KL Contingent to the National Science & Tech carnival. Before I could say a word, (I couldn’t even find a word), it was anonymously agreed and final. I was still clueless as to how to start or say do-your-best-speech when the meeting suddenly ended. Slow-poke!

I was also practically the IT lead. I failed to respect the actual web team lead, though I have actually given all the efforts to co-operate. This is also a lesson learned throughout high school. I have also tarnished the IT record two years earlier, so I was given a probation.

E) 2000 – Floor Leader. Vice captain. March commandant. etc.

F) 2001-2003: being overseas was a little different. I didn’t quick-launch but more of adapting to the environment instead. My English developed much quicker (though still not up to my expectation.)

G) From 2004-2005, TBP, Engr Honors Society brought me to an even higher level. It was the first time that I represented such an elite group at such an elite level. I felt minuscule. I was overwhelmed, again, but held on to the notion that leaders are nothing without accomplishments. There are goals to be achieved. There are people to be motivated towards those.

All in all, each of us has the leadership in ourselves. In management, you're trying to do things right. In leadership, you're trying to do the right things. It is also the intuition to provide for others and be just in doing so. Remember, you’re not leading if no one is following. You earn the respect, not acquire it. You don’t need to be the most popular, the smartest, or the most dominant. But if you think about others, help them, then you’re the best leader there is on the planet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home