>> Saturday, October 28, 2006

You've Got Mail

While browsing through my files and folders, I stumbled upon an archive of mail envelopes and whatever documents that came with it. The trouble is, I do not remember how much of an effort I gave to reply any of those. Thanks for all the cards and letters. Sorry for any no-show or no-reply.

  • Cards and letters from Jln Mengkibol (but posted in Ipoh), Skudai, Kg Hutan Kulu, Serimas Condo, Melaka*, Bukit Beruang, Volgina Street of Moscow, and a fifth former in 2003 (name of whom combines two senders below)

  • An Eid card from the sweetest lady I know in Kuala Kangsar (now happily married, good for her); was the one and only card I ever got from her.

  • A special 10 Oct – typed front face for address – several handwritten pages front and back received after I went to Singapore (Sep 26 - Oct 07). I have to re-read everything a couple of times to digest the contents.

  • A good luck card from k.Sanisah, Thanks k.Chah

  • Meticulous birthday cards received from all close friends during college time. Now I remember the cakes baked for me. Thanks a lot. I don’t rigorously celebrate birthdays but a lot of people around me do, so hey, if you want to cherish it still, I welcome the gesture, thanks.

  • “Who Wants to Free a Billionaire” and “Worry About Getting Old? That’s Silly” cards. I think the senders remember who sent what. Thanks mates.

  • Graduation card that says, “Degree dah dapat, bini bila lagi?” and another one with flat Teddy bear embedded inside

  • Postcard from Ireland to check up on Malaysians at TU, and one from KLIA selatan, written during the flight back to Malaysia

  • Postcard from Ground Zero that says, “Hey if you look closely to here and here, you’ll see my name written there..” and from DC that says, “What’s up dude. Late postcard – waiting for Esso stipend to buy stamps.”

  • A letter from Superior court, county of Kern, north division, Shafter/Wasco Branch declaring mandatory court appearance. There is an actual clause inside mentioning: “Your Case will not be heard unless you are dressed appropriately shoes and shirts required. No shorts, tank tops or tee shirts with alcohol or drug related pictures or slogans.” Apparently, that seems to be a problem in that county court – people showing up in shorts and t-shirts that print, “Even when I’m sober, you’re still ugly.” L. Doson, the citing officer, was very approximate. I did not have a chance to thank him. Eventually, the judges granted to waive mandatory court appearance for a bail.

*She never provides her address and I could never write back. (She knew I wouldn’t even if I had the address.)

The days of cards are going to be phased out by SMS, MMS, etc. Just like letters phased out by e-mails. A simple reality check on Raya greetings I received this year: 30 SMSs, several chat/blog remarks, and a whopping 1 physical card.

5 Comments:

Blogger Intan Saleh said...

ouh yeah. u r luckier. this yr i got less than 10 chat/blog remarks, less than 5 SMSs, 2 special phone calls.. and one physical card. no e-card.. im surprised. but i deserve that much.. since i sent out no SMS, card virtual and real, and made only 2 phone calls last year. kwang3..

11:45 AM  
Blogger myrasya said...

you've got mail is my all time favorite movie... dulu once upon a time, i pernah buat part time kt one shop around the corner jugak.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Zidni said...

intan: phone calls weigh more than the rest. in fact, a raya visit weighs the most. :)

j.t.: you've got mail, bleh tahan aa sweet. pernah buat part time kat shop-around-the-corner tu? bile?

6:19 PM  
Blogger myrasya said...

i worked at just claying around the corner kt usj after form 5 as a watercolor painter for ceramic arts. hehe.. then worked part time at stationary shop sometime during summer holiday in malaysia. tolong my uncle. masa skola dulu...i was a librarian, i know kelab buku kenari collection very well.. ekeke..

11:28 PM  
Blogger Zidni said...

oo.. bookworms~ :P

erm, make it 2 cards. i got 1. expecting another one. thankss.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home