>> Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Practical

It looks like my job is getting tougher and tougher every time. Of course, dude! No job gets easier as you go on. I don’t know. Maybe it’s because I’m starting from scratch. There’s a first time for everything, right? Another difficulty I have at the job is the absence of the real thing and a real mentor. If only I could play with the real stuff and had someone explain to me in real time, it would’ve been great! But that of course wouldn’t be a practical solution. Management would always have some ways to go around providing luxurious opportunity of time for practical training. They’d usually want you to carry the job and learn from it. They’d usually want this: If I throw random stuff at you, I expect you to deliver no matter what. You’ll learn much quicker under the pressure.

In the next few years, I’m going to have to give a real technical support, man. If they’re talking about developing a quality support, they should start thinking about putting me up on track. Wait. I should be thinking about putting myself on track. What was I thinking? Nobody else carries my carrier but me. I’m in charge. No management personnel shall scare me. Only the Almighty has the real power to harm. Or heal. Wallahua’lam.

Picture: Work environment plays a big role in employee's satisfaction.

"The Real Carrot"
Managers often assume that workers want the traditional incentives: more money, promotions, and job security. But these may not be what really motivates your employees. In a Rulgers University study, employees from several companies were asked what made them willing to do their best work. They named respect for them as people, allowances for their own individual preferences and needs, and information about what the company was up to and the reasons behind decisions and policies.(quoted from ASM Group's World Executive's Digest - The Best of Manager's Toolbox)

I would have to agree.

There was a get-together for all KL-based employees and any operations personnel in town. It was great to witness the lead manager (the affiliate’s top guy in M’sia) addressed the audience himself. The management finally admitted that the DT was related to high attrition. Would anyone dare to point out to the management how good of a job done in retaining the people? It’s nobody’s fault that we are in a very unfortunate situation. There are many factors hitting us all at one. It becomes apparent as the labor market reveals its wings…

Umm, that right. Kemosabe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home